Practical and Biblical Accountability for Torah Observant Yeshua Lovers
What is Biblical Accountability ? Is it for Torah Keeping Messiah Followers?
“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.”– Hebrews 10:23-27, ESV
Are You a Torah Keeping Messiah Follower?
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.“James 5:16
First, from the above passages, let’s take a look at what we can glean when it comes to what accountability is. As Torah Keeping Messiah Followers, we need to do more than follow the obvious principles of Torah. We need to engage in the Weightier Matters.
Accountability & Engaging in the Weightier Matters
- Faithfully holding onto our Hope
- Mutual Confession
- Encouraging one another to good works
- Meeting together. Which includes supporting each other to meet together and may have some acceptance and even hospitality undertones.
- Taking the influence seriously we can have in each other’s lives. Their eternity could depend on it.
- Praying for one another’s healing.
What do you think? Know any group/fellowship/congregation acting on these practices? How about any individuals? Is accountability for Torah Keeping Messiah Followers possible?
Accountability for Torah Observant Yeshua Lovers?
Is accountability for the Torah Observant?
“The praise for the architects, supervisors, and builders of the Mishkan is that they did not deviate from the original plans and fulfilled their tasks completely and enthusiastically – with a full heart and great commitment. They fulfilled their obligation of accountability to God and man.”Rabbi Beryl Wein, Torah.org
The Torah is overflowing with accountability towards YHVH and people to people. There appears no doubt that accountability is a Torah concept and principle.
Does Being a Messiah Follower Change the Principle of Accountability?
Paul encourages us to comfort and edify one another in 1 Thessalonians 5:11. Also, James mentions we should confess our sins to one another and pray for one another in James 5:16.
Indeed, the entire Bible has so many examples, stories, and passages on accountability. It is hard to understand how we got to the state of not ‘believing’ in accountability.
However, there is much in the britt chadashah about our accountability to Yah. As Torah Observant Yeshua Lovers we have a lot of eyes on us and judgment of our actions happening. Let’s work towards being Servants He can say ‘well done.’ to.
“But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.”Matthew 12:36
So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.Romans 14:12
The practicality of Accountability, the When and How
Are We in the Business of Motivating Others to Radical Love and Hope? Well, sure we know we should be. Most of us even try. But, mostly, it appears we give up on this more than we should. As Torah Observant Yeshua Lovers is it possible to do better?
Furthermore, we often get hurt or inadvertently hurt others when we venture to be authentic. Besides, In Western society, Christian and HRM culture we are independent and individualistic, purposefully. And proud of it.
Consequently, we have no idea how to ‘do’ these Bible things of accountability. For this reason, many of us want to learn how to approach relationships within the body at this deeper level. However, many are deeply opposed and offended at anything close to holding each other accountable.
Discernment within the Body Required
Indeed, you cannot force authentic Biblical accountability on anyone. Without a doubt, you run the risk of alienating yourself and offending others. Hence, the most practical keys to walking in genuine Biblical Accountability are:
- Walking humbly with YHVH, abiding in Him moment to moment.
- Loving mercy and showing it in all situations.
- We should be acting with kindness.
- Let’s be showering grace everywhere. Yes even on those who rub you the wrong way, frustrate you or hurt you. Grace – if you want it, you need to give it.
- Doing justice – yeah, this is a sticky one. The points above may seem hard, but in general, do-able. But how does one ‘do’ justice? Think on all the verses and situations in the Word that show standing up for Truth — confronting sin. Saying no to evil. Yep, that’s doing justice.
- Following the faith, and not grow weary of doing good.
- It is choosing to align yourself with others that want to follow the Weightier Matters of Scriptures. Folks that are humble and recognize they don’t have all the answers (and neither does their teacher). Members of Messiah’s body that are willing to be confronted in love. Maybe even welcome it. Because they desire to grow in Him and with each other. These are the ones to form a lasting community with. Lastly, those who have come to a point in their Hebraic walks where they are ready to heal. Indeed, those prepared to stop arguing, and agree to disagree on the non-weightier matters.
Why Accountability Now in HRM Torah Keeping Messiah Followers?
Yeshua said, “If you are faithful in little things, you be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people’s things, why should you be trusted with things of your own.”Luke 10:12-14
Moreover, the word for “stir up” can be translated urge, spur on, or motivate. At times it can be translated “provoke.” In addition, it can include the meaning “irritate.”
On the other hand, the word “encourage” usually refers to coming alongside someone and giving encouragement with words. There are several forms of speech that could be being referred to with this word. Instructing, comforting, admonishing, warning, urging, begging, and consoling. In context, when the body of Messiah comes together to strengthen each other.
Accountability Helps the Individual & His Body
As Torah Keeping Messiah Followers we can gain a lot as individuals and as we learn to grow together in community. Below are just a few of the benefits that we can gain from choosing to abide in the weightier matters and choose a lifestyle of accountability within His body.
- We come to relax within each other’s presence and let go of pretenses
- We know we are cared for and other’s have our back
- The joy of learning and gaining insights from each other
- Being held up in prayer
- Growing true, Biblical community
- Studying and Learning becomes real, instead of chest pounding sessions
- We encourage and inspire each other
- “Iron sharpens iron” (Proverbs 27:17)
- We form relationships that transcend our quirks and likeability. We are His body together.
- #theweightiermatters #thewayoftheweightiermatters #hebraicblogging #messianicblogger #hebrewrootsblogging #dontgrowweary #hrm #hebrewroots #jewishroots #christianroots #messianic #torahobservant #torahkeeper #yeshualover #messiahfollower